I saw this fruit in the market today and I just couldn’t resist it. I asked the seller about it, she told me its name is Golden melon and it’s just like cucumber, watermelon, etc. So, I bought it, ate it and believe me, this fruit is one package of yumminess.
Below is a list of 10 Important facts you should know about golden melon:
1. Golden melon is botanically known as Cucumis melo and belongs to the family, Cucurbitaceae.
2. This slightly oval melon fruit has a smooth, waxy yellow rind/skin, creamy white or pale green flesh, and seeds.
3. The fruit has the taste of apple, water melon and gauva combined. It’s simply the complete fruit package.
4. The skin is edible; just like cucumber but unlike watermelon whose skin edibility is controversial. Seeds can be dried, roasted, or pressed into seed oil. Thus, all parts are consumable.
Get this chopper to chop fruits and vegetables
6. Golden melon contains vitamin C, pantothenic acid, calcium, zinc, vitamin B6, fibre, magnesium, iron, potassium, vitamin A and omega-3 & 6.
7. It contains about 90% water thus, hydrates the body.
8. It contains potassium and studies reveal that potassium releases signal within the body, which helps to stimulate and regulate the nerves and muscles contractions.
9. The fruit prevents cardiovascular diseases due to its high amount of vitamin B6 and Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids.
10. It also prevents constipation due to the presence of dietary fibre in it.
Other Benefits include healthy weight management and cholesterol control.
Fruits and vegetables are of immeasurable importance to our health. And if we can’t care for our health, who will? It’s better to go to the market to buy fruits and vegetables for consumption than to buy processed foods.
Of course, it has become almost impossible to do without processed foods but there have been testimonies of people who did it and consequently had good and long life. You and I can do it. We can increase our fresh food intake. We can increase vegetables and fruits intake. And, a good starting point is to take optimum advantage of getting fruits and/or vegetables alongside whenever we go shopping.
In conclusion and as a watch for the week,
“Never go to the market and return without a fruit or vegetable in your basket”
Have a nice week, stay healthy and blessed!